Servicing Olympia, Lacey, Tumwater, Tacoma,
Shelton, & South Sound
Open: Mon-Fri 8:00am-5:00pm
Spring Cleaning: Plumbing Edition
The time for spring cleaning is here so don't forget the plumbing!
Posted by: Ashley, on Saturday 1st April 2017
Spring cleaning for plumbing could be considered more like an annual check-up on the water system in and outside the home. With the warmer weather, springtime is the best time to ensure that everything is working properly and not damaged. This is especially true after harsh winters which are notorious for causing cracked pipes. Even just checking the major fixtures throughout the home can save money and water as well as prevent plumbing emergencies later in the year.
Be Sure To:
- Inspect pipes throughout the home for leaks, damage or anything unusual, especially exposed pipes under sinks and in the basement. Use the water meter to check for any hidden leaks.
- Clean mineral deposits on shower-heads and faucets by soaking in vinegar overnight and brushing away any remaining particles.
- Inspect toilet bowl for cracks and leaks. One way to check for leaks is to use food coloring. If the food coloring moves from the tank to the bowl, there is a leak between the two, while food coloring in the bowl that dissipates shows a leak in the bowl.
- Pour a gallon of water into infrequently used drains, including floor drains. This will fill the trap and prevent odors from entering the home. Snake any slow-moving drains to remove clogs.
- Exercise water supply valves under toilets and sinks to prevent sticking.
- Check the dishwasher, ice maker and washing machine supply hoses for bulges or leaks and replace if necessary.
- Check the water heater. Ensure that the temperature is no greater than 120°F. Drain several gallons of water from the tank to flush out corrosion-causing sediment. Also, check the age of the water heater using the first four numbers of the serial number, which are in month-year format. If the water heater is more than 15 years of age, consider replacing.
If you are unsure or hesitant about completing any of the suggested tasks or if you come across any problems, don't hesitate to contact Olympic Plumbing. We'll help knock out the list and make sure your household plumbing holds up for the rest of the year!